Here's a summary of important changes done to Trelby in each version.
- Fountain import/export support.
- Adobe Story import support.
- Fade In Pro import support.
- Install directory is configurable on Windows.
- Text import can optionally ignore certain lines.
- Better looking tabs.
- Windows installer will not try to run Trelby as the wrong user anymore.
- Small enhancements to font selection.
- Watermarked PDF export.
- Ability to use a different text color for each element type.
- Celtx import support.
- Title page enhancements:
- Strings can be right-justified.
- Strings can consist of multiple lines.
- Non-breaking space support.
- New "Act break" element.
- Close button on each tab.
- "Select all" command.
- New icons and splash screen.
- Parenthetical indenting fix.
- When text is selected: Backspace deletes it, typing replaces it.
- Fix long script names overflowing the tabs.
- Add "About" page in config dialogs explaining what they are for.
- Program is renamed to Trelby and new website launched.
- Better default colors.
- Cleaned up interface (removal of element type combobox, moving status info to tab ctrl space, better tab ctrl, better looking draft mode, etc.)
- New splash screen.
- Add support for Window Vista/7.
- Add Final Draft (FDX) import and export support.
- Add HTML export support.
- Fullscreen mode.
- Right-click popup menu.
- Smoother scrolling (old scrolling behavior available as an option).
- Support wxWidgets 2.8.
- Only support Unicode builds of wxWidgets.
- Speed up name database decoding by 600%.
- Blyte is no longer a proprietary, commercial program, but licensed freely under the GPL. Thus, you no longer need to buy a license to get access to the full features of the program, they are always enabled.
- The above also means that Blyte should now run on any Linux distribution, since we no longer have to generate our own binary packages in an effort to hide the source code.
- User-specified TrueType fonts can now be used in the generated PDF files, and optionally embedded.
- Blyte now uses a custom tab control, saving vertical space on the screen.
- Auto-capitalizing 'i' to 'I' is now supported.
- Unicode filenames are supported.
- Opening scripts at their last saved position is now supported.
- "ScriptNext" and "ScriptPrev" commands were added.
- Lines with trailing spaces are now allowed to be longer than the element's normal maximum line width. The "double space" linebreak style is removed with this change, which fixes an obscure bug with lines that end in two spaces.
- A much wider range of Linux distributions is supported.
- wxWidgets 2.6 and Unicode builds of it are supported, in addition to the 2.4/ANSI version that was previously supported.
- Support for Windows versions older than Windows 2000 is removed since they do not support Unicode.
- In the dialogue chart, the bar height for each page is scaled according to how many dialogue lines the character has on that page, and the "Dialogue density" graph has been changed to a graph showing the percentage of action, dialogue, character and "other" lines on each page.
- "Goto page" and "Goto scene" commands were added.
- The "File" menu now keeps a list of the most recent scripts opened.
- "Note" elements in PDF output are now more configurable: they can be omitted completely, displayed normally, or they can have a rectangle drawn around them to make them stand out more.
- "Find next error" detects more types of errors.
- "Delete elements of type X" no longer resets the cursor position.
- "Save as" on an existing script now uses the path of the existing file as the default directory in the file dialog.
- "Show margins" in the script configuration dialog was moved from "Formatting" to "PDF".
- Several bugs fixed in joining together elements by various delete operations where the latter element contained forced line breaks.
- Selecting several lines of text from the end of an element and then deleting them caused an error in some cases.
- "Import file" now adds the default headers and title pages to the script.
- Spell checker.
- Support for a table of contents in generated PDF files, a setting for showing it by default, and a setting on whether to automatically open PDF files on the current page.
- The "(MORE)", "(CONTINUED)", "CONTINUED:" and "(cont'd)" strings are now configurable.
- The horizontal position of "(CONTINUED)" is now configurable.
- Script filenames given as command line parameters are opened.
- On Windows, *.blyte files are now associated with Blyte.
- Divide-by-zero errors in character report generation fixed.
- Inserting invalid characters to the script through the "Replace" command in the "Find & Replace" dialog is no longer allowed.
- In the "Find & Replace" dialog, the ' character is not treated as a word separator anymore.
- In Character reports, parenthetical lines are not counted as dialogue anymore.
- Settings are now divided into global and script-specific ones.
- Configurable keyboard commands.
- Side-by-side and overview layout modes.
- RTF export support.
- Script, location and scene reports.
- Speed and memory usage improvements.
- Evaluation mode is now less restrictive, notably allowing saving of scripts less than 20 pages long.
- First public release.